paintedpixels.co.uk

St. John the Baptist

First mention of this church is in 1201 so it pre-dates William Wentworth by more than 500 years. Not a folly but it is of significant historic value none the less. It lies on the edge of the estate but by the time William occupied the estate, it had fallen into ruin. No evidence of restoration work appears to have been made by the Lord of the manor which suggests that William liked it as it was; a Gothic ruin. The church was last in use in the early 1700's. By 1719, the roof had caved in with the steeple and tower falling by 1785. Today, just a few of walls remain standing but the graveyard remains and is still in use for burials. It was built alongside a holy well. St Johns spring, arising from a bank just below the ruined remains of the church into a stone lined chamber. The church used the water for baptism but now it is diverted under the road into a small brook.

stjohns

engraving

Engraving from 1760, showing the roofless church