paintedpixels.co.uk

The Spectacle

Situated in Spectacle Lane on the eastern fringes of Boughton park stands this castellated arched structure. Built in 1770 by William Wentworth, it has two identical semi-circular towers with battlements on top and joined together by an arch, also with battlements. This folly was designed to catch the eye as a silhouette on the hill when viewed from Boughton Hall. The Spectacle is a Grade II listed structure and has suffered from weather erosion and vandalism and as such had to be rebuilt in 1992 when large cracks appeared in the arch. Unfortunately, some of its castellation was lost in the early part of this century and the wing walls have suffered some damage but it still stands today as a tribute to Wentworths passion for the Gothic revival in the eighteenth century.

spectacle