The Obelisk

Boughton Obelisk was built in 1764 by William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Strafford (1722 - 91) who lived at Boughton Hall (not to be confused with Boughton House, Kettering) three miles north of Northampton town centre.

The Obelisk is 100ft high and built of local white sandstone; one of seven Follies in Boughton park, it is the most prominent. It was built in memory of His Grace William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire. Cavendish was a lifelong friend of Wentworths and had been educated at Boughton. He became Prime Minister for a short while in 1756.

The Obelisk now stands like a sentinel in the middle of a housing estate and shares its name with the popular club behind it.